Saturday, June 17, 2006

epic racing continued

Gina Grain celebrates birthday with 3rd place finish and a storm for the ages

by Jim Williams

The Nature Valley Grand prix is turning into a survival contest for the Colavita/Co oking Light Team. Tonight was supposed to be a downtown cycling celebration in Minneapolis but it turned into a little bit of everything with an emphasis on wet and wild adventure. One hour before the race a sprinkle started from what was expected to be a quick passing thunderstorm. The sprinkle grew to a hard rain and then to sideways sheets of rain. The staff had set up the temporary race camp sandwiched next to 2 big buildings and huddled under their race tent with Sue Palmer Komar and Gina Grain to weather the storm through. The rest of the team was out warming up and had to seek shelter in a bus stop. Every minute when the rains seemed as though they should be letting up they some how managed to come down harder until the rain turned to hail and then the hail got larger and larger. Form the loosely protected area those in the tent were able to watch tents from other teams blow apart and then had to run out and rescue equipment that began floating away after the streets flooded over the sidewalk. Sue Palmer Komar the wise experienced racer put on her race helmet to protect her from the flying chunks of ice and Gina Grain laughed and claimed, “this is the best birthday present ever” When the storm finally passed and the damage surveyed, the only lose for the Cola vita/Cooking Light team were the race radio’s that got a drenching even though they had been put in zip lock bags. The upcoming race was shortened and for the third year in a row would be contested on slippery wet roads. Nerves were high as a wet crit course usually means crashes but the team had been equipped with high friction Michelin rain tires and everyone stayed up right during the race which was fast and aggressive and strung out single file for its duration. Colavita/Cooking Light rode a conservative race and at the end rain specialist Gina Grain gave it a go at the line and was able to earn a spot on the podium and even more reason for the team to celebrate with her. .


Okay, so that is Jim's report and it just about sums it up. It was NUTS!! I was not a happy camper to be racing a crit in the wet. But it's true about the tires, they were super grippy michelins and I love them. I wish I had my camera to take a picture of the hail. Let's just say there was no need to buy ice for the coolers, we had tons after that!! You need to check out Doug's and Timmy's blog, they took pictures so hopefully they post. Plus the water was up over the curb and the waves were approaching our little protected encampment. It was wild. Alas, the flood waters receded quickly and we were able to race, in the wet but at least it stopped raining for a bit. Different story for the guys though, they had to call their race 17 min into it. Better them than us.

Today it was windy again for the long day in the saddle. I wasn't too happy about that either. I mean 80 plus miles of crosswinds only to come into town and have to do 4 circuits with a heinous hill. BRUTAL! I will never do this race again!

Meanwhile, at home, Trinity scored 3 goals in her soccer game!! Way to go girl! I am finally going to get to see her play next saturday before I head to Rochester for the Twilight crit. She has scored 6 goals in 3 games so far.

well, I should go prepare mentally for this stillwater hell that's in store for us tomorrow. Sounds like a fun day, ha!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I just said the exact same thing before reading your blog: "I will never do this race again" But good job Racer Sue. I was hopin' you would drop 'em all today in Stillwater:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue,

Great result at Nature Valley! Keep up the hard work, your form looks really good going into The Nationals.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue,

Any predictions for the Tour de France this year? How about for the Podium?

I'm going with Basso, Landis and Ullrich. In that order.

How about Coach Chris? What are his picks?