Monday, August 07, 2006

charlotte

This past weekend the team met up again in Charlotte for the Bank of America criterium. it was great to see (almost) everyone ('cept dotsie and sima) again.

I almost didn't make it. When I left for the Buffalo airport friday afternoon I forgot to account for delays at the border due to it being Friday and a long weekend here in Canada. oops. I kept cool and parked the car quick and ran to the check in counter. I arrived about 25 minutes before departure. As I approached I wheezed out "can i make the 7:20 to detroit??" the agent said "oh yeah, no problem". Then as I started the check-in she said "oh, is that a bike?? Oh, I don't think you'll make it..." I literally threw the $80. for the bike charge at her and said "please!". they put it on an elevator and I didn't expect it to make it with me but it did! that was a relief!

The race went well. I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't raced in a while. It certainly was shock at first but I settled in. I didn't feel as fast as I felt in June but when there's a job to be done you gotta do it and see if you're still breathing when it's done. Of course, when you have such great sprinters like Tina and Gina (note to self, if i ever have another daughter her name must end in "ina" if I want her to win a lot of races - tina, gina, ina - very fast peoples, at the very least it must end in "a" - there are some fast lauras out there too) you just have to deliver them to the last corner and let them do their thing. I don't know how they do it but I have a lot of fun delivering them. Anyway, so that's what we did. Great job tina and gina! And extra props to gina for going out there and winning the mental battle against a race that wasn't so kind last year. you are a champ.

So, while I was away I missed my brother in law's graduation party. It was hard to miss that but congratulations andrew for graduating with 'high distinction' from computer engineering, hard work does pay off.

I also missed a great day that chris and trinity spent at christie's conservation area with a bunch of friends and their kids. and trinity, that's what camping is all about. trinity wants to go camping because a friend of hers was going this weekend and in trinity word's she gets to "do all the stuff you could ever dream of!!!" pretty funny.

and the 3rd thing I missed this weekend was a family reunion at my uncle neil's and aunt maddy's place. It's a fun time and congrats uncle neil for finally winning the games competition, it's about time!! My uncle bob and aunt sharon dropped by too with a boat that is pretty special. My dad refinished a 1956 Shepherd wooden boat back when I was almost a teenager and my sister, brother and I had a small hand in helping. We drilled the wooden plugs for the screw holes on the drill press for him, my brother helped glue and hammer them in. We had some fun water skiing with that boat and it's got tremendous sentimental value to me. shortly after my dad passed away my uncle bob (dad's bro) bought it and is using it now. I'm so glad he has it and is using it. I need to go visit him and have a ride and a ski. I haven't been in it since I was 15!!

anyway, enough sentimental rambling. today is a holiday here and I have an easy day then maybe we'll go fishing! trinity landed a big catfish last time, it was soo cool. here's a pic of her waiting for a bite.


check out the styling rubber boots! fishing is fun and we always do catch and release cause trinity loves animals so much she couldn't kill one. Now she's watching fishing shows on TV. scary.

well, that's all for now. sorry no pics of charlotte, hopefully next time.

1 comment:

The Smessies said...

Trinity, so adorable. Ya done good.