So I went home from nature valley, minus the Keen shoes that were stolen while I was racing the downtown crit on Friday night. I had a great week at home and was re-adjusting well to home life. I had to go to Rochester to race that NRC on Saturday but no worries cause it was a twilight race. That meant I could finally catch one of Trinity’s soccer games on Saturday morning. I should have known I was going to have a bad day when I slammed my own thumb in the car door on the way to soccer (Duh, left brain-right brain not communicating). It really hurt, in fact the whole hand hurt and I held it up the rest of the day. I dropped by the local pharmacy to get a splint after the game because I couldn’t touch it and I needed to be able to have some thumb function for the race in Rochester that evening. I should have heeded the thumb warning that this was going to be a less than stellar day.
So, I started the race and for the first two laps all went well, thumb splint was working and I was okay. Then on the third lap on the fast back straight a rider touched and rubbed wheels with the bike in front of her. Of course, I was beside the toucher and could see this developing while telling myself “move right, move right, get away from falling bike rider!!” I didn’t get away soon enough and she caught me on the way down pulling me down too. Kaboom! I hit my face, which is the worst. I’m no model so I wasn’t overly scared of ruining my face but it’s just so obvious when you get road rash on your face, plus it stings like hell. The other thing was, my nose hurt. It hurt so bad it would radiate up into my head for a week afterwards giving me headaches. I also hit my elbow pretty hard and my hip. When I looked at the hip while changing I was like “yes! No road rash!” My shorts weren’t even ripped!
I was happy until about an hour and a half later when I realized I had some foreign object growing on my hip. It was FREAKY. It was totally numb and out to HERE! The colour was starting to come in too, a nice eggplant colour. Very pretty. So much for the bikini for a while. Anyway, jumped into the car to get going home, only 2 and a ½ hour drive. I iced the hip the whole way. All in vain. It got huge and all various colours. Below is a picture of it 4 days after the crash.

So, my doctor said maybe nationals wasn’t a great idea and I wouldn’t be at my best. ya, no kidding. This picture isn't even the worst of it. It looked awful when it was just the impact spot of about 3-4 inches diameter sticking out like a melon. I must end this post now but there is so much more to write about. to be continued...
5 comments:
Sue that is nasty! I can't even believe that you have continued to race with that thing on your hip!
Just found you blog.It's cool! Hi to Chris and Trinity.
Lily is just about to watch Dora while she has breakfast. I'm trying to explain to her that ketchup and pancakes don't go together.
Stacey
YEEEEOUCH!!!! Arnica! Arnica!
eeeeeeeeeeYIKES!!
That's one wicked looking bruise. No wonder you weren't at your best for The Nationals.
After seeing that, it makes your result at the recent Hamilton race look amazing.
I did a 160k ride yesterday (up to Fergus and back) with 39 others from the Neworld crew. It was kind of hot but not too bad as long you kept moving. Jeff and I were doing domestique duties most of the day, ferrying the stragglers and mechanicals back up to the pack (man that's a lot of more work than sitting in the pack and just riding). It was about 5 hours riding time with about 40 minutes break time on top.
I was home for an hour, enough time to jump in the pool with Jenn and the kids, then Jenn and I took Nick and Jordann up to camp in Beaverton for a week - WOOHOOO! What to do, what to do with only Emily around for the week?
Jeff has another 160k ride planned for late August to Niagara-on-the-Lake and back. If you have time you should join us.
Hopefully you're good to go for 'Toona. Good Luck.
Tell Chris I still have cold beer waiting in the fridge for him.
Oh ya - I just saw the published list of selected riders for The Worlds - Congrats.
Write more, write more! I am in suspense! That is a brutal looking picture by the way. I hope you are feeling much better now! I miss ya!
Gosh dang woman. Can't believe you did Nationals. That thing looks like a tumor out of control. Nothing like racers who have no skills. I hope it heals up soon, and look forward to getting my Trinity art in the mail. You can send it to the same address.
Post a Comment