Thursday, March 16, 2006

I'm settling into village now. Slept great last night even if it mean't missing the opening ceremonies.

Did I mention the food here rocks? Everyday I'm filling up on some great tasting strawberries, I can't resist them. And they have one section called the "sizzling salad". That rocks!. You pick your salad ingredients and then add some sort of sizzling meat to it. Yesterday I had the chicken, today I had the beef. Plus, there's a whole pizza section. Ah, life is good. It's pretty amazing cause it's got to be difficult to mass produce food and make it good, although, there are always people going through the dining hall. It's open 24hrs/day. I'm thinking of going there some night just to see who goes there in the middle of the night.

The volunteers are EXTREMELY friendly and some of us are wondering if it will last the whole games. I mean they are really enthusiastic. It's great though. They call these the friendly games and they really are.

Today I was one of 20 lucky athletes to attend a breakfast with some heavy hitting sponsors of the canadian commonwealth team. Charles Allen (110m hurdles) and I were matched up with Brad and Donna from PCL Construction Leaders in Toronto. It really is a small world because when Donna mentioned that PCL built the Air Canada centre in T.O., I mentioned that my husband drives a truck for a company that made some of the joist for the centre. He said they use Canam all the time for steel joists. Freaky. What are the chances? Anyway, we athletes really appreciate all the support these corporate sponsors give for the games and it was a fun time to talk to them and let them know in person.

After breakfast, road coach, Vincent, and I got a ride to a house of a guy (Jacob) who has a moto we can can use for motorpacing. The house was amazing, built with canadian timber and totally unique. But what made my day was the cat 'rattles' that is the spitting image of my own cat Ace. He was so friendly too, I wanted to take him back to the village so I could get my cat fix everyday. Anyway, it was a great training session and I felt good, even though it's easy to get killed here. The opposite road system here is dangerous if you not used to it. You have to look to the right when you cross a road, not the left. I alomost forgot and would have been killed had I not remembered at the last second. Phew, gotta remember that.

I finally talked to my fam this morning too. with the time change it's difficult because they are 16hrs behind. I didn't get to talk to trinity and that was sad. she wasn't home. I hope to get to chat with her tomorrrow. It's so hard being so far away but it'll go fast I hope.

No comments: