Monday, March 20, 2006

Okay, back from the TT course. It is kind of boring. No real landmarks to let me know how much longer I must suffer before the finish line. It was really windy too. Nice that it was a head wind out and tail wind back. Apparently it's usually the other way around. That would suck. It was pretty tough going out, I did two efforts and felt like Trinity would be faster on her single speed coaster brake bike (that day WILL come I'm sure, probably soon). So, it's going to be tough. Coming back though was fast. However, I don't think that's ideal for me. I don't seem to be able to use tailwinds as well as other people. Probably cause I tend to be lazy at times and when I have one I think 'Ah, this is nice, I'll just cruise for a bit...'

It shouldn't be quite as windy as that for us because we start at 10:30am and the wind hasn't fully pick-upped by then, at least I'm hoping.

I wish I could come back here as a tourist someday. On the way back to the village we drove through downtown. Great people watching, there were heaps of people down there (notice the insertion of a popular Aussie word 'heaps'). I'd like to do some shopping. I noticed two curious things. One, there's a fast food place here called Hungry Jacks. It's their Burger King. And, as a bonus (or not) all athletes received a card that gives us 20% off of anything we buy at Hungry Jacks. Second, a typical liquor store here is called a "Bottle shop". Pretty funny but makes sense. Let's duck into the bottle shop and get a bottle.

The architecture here is pretty cool too. They have heaps of decorative wrought iron railings and stuff. Usually the buildings you find them on are reminiscent (did I spell that right?) of something East Indian. It's pretty neat. I will take a picture and post it eventually. For the most part, the stuff along the TT course reminds me of southern California, especially cause the ocean is right there on one side. It's really beautiful.

On another note, mostly to Trinity, I was thinking of going into a McDonald's and seeing if they have any neat toys in their Happy Meals. Also, I've been pinching (aussie word for stealing, I'm so bad) these little bags of gummy dinosaurs from the residence centres. I will bring them home for you. They have candy bowls on every table. One time we watched these two guys go through two whole bowls of candy in less than an hour!! Also, on the topic of the residence centres and pinching, when you do your laundry there you must keep an eye on it because apparently some people have had some of their kit "pinched". But Gina didn't, she thought she did but it was just misplaced for a while thank goodness.

I think that's enough for today. I should go rest for the race tomrorow.

Hey Colavita teammates, great job in visalia and good luck in Redlands!

No comments: